Having the right bath accessories is essential to keep the baby safe in a bathtub. One such accessory is a bath mat, which prevents a squirmy baby from sliding and slipping into the water. There can be different variants of a bath mat that you can choose from. In this MomJunction post, we’ll tell you why you might need a bath mat and how to pick the one that suits your needs. We also list some of the best bath mats for babies.
What Are The Advantages Of A Baby Bath Mat?
A baby bath mat is placed at the base of a tub to provide a good grip to the baby’s feet. A simple baby bath mat can provide several vital benefits that we talk about here.
- Prevents the baby from slipping: Babies and toddlers may get excited or annoyed with the idea of a bath and may get restless while in a bathtub. A bath mat keeps the baby steady even when they move a lot and prevents them from sliding. A baby bath mat significantly mitigates dangers by creating friction at the base of the tub.
- Can make bathtub comfortable: The floor of the tub can come across as cold and hard for the baby. The bath mat works as a soft insulated surface, thus making it comfortable for a baby to sit in a tub.
- Makes bath time fun: Bath mats for infants and toddlers come in a variety of colors and designs. Some come with an activity or a few toys that the baby can play with during the bath.
Bath mats are highly practical and are one of the must-haves during bath time, according to the experts (1). It is, therefore, essential to pick the right bath mat for your baby depending on the requirements.
How To Pick The Right Baby Bath Mat?
Here is what you should consider when purchasing a bath mat for your baby.
- Baby-safe materials: Mats are made of rubber, PVC, or a mixture of these materials, which are usually safe for the baby. However, avoid mats with materials such as latex that could have the potential to cause allergies. Also, choose mats that do not have BPA and phthalates.
- Size and shape: The bath mat should fit into your bathtub. Check the length, width, and shape of the mat before making a purchase.
- Thickness: The mat should be thick enough to keep the child comfortable through the bath.
- Suction cups: Several baby bath mats contain suction cups that form a vacuum with the base of the bathtub, removing the risk of the mat moving when the baby moves.
- Easy to clean: The design and the material should be such that it is convenient for you to clean. Damp and unclean bath mats can become a breeding ground for mold.
- Holes for quick drying: Bath mats with holes can dry faster and are easy to maintain.
- Less prone to bacterial contamination: A bath mat with an antibacterial surface is likely to prevent bacterial propagation. Go for bath mats that state they contain an antibacterial surface.
Now that you know what to look for, you can move on to the list of baby bath mats we have for you.
11 Best Baby Bath Mats
1. Aprice Non-Slip Bathtub Mat
This bath mat is multi-purpose and quite versatile.
- There are 277 suction cups at the base of the bath mat for the best grip in a bathtub.
- The bath mat is machine washable since it is made from durable and flexible PVC material.
- The mat has attractive duck illustrations on top and is available in three color options.
- The mat can be used in the tub, or even under the shower for toddlers and young kids to use.
- The mat may not stick to tubs with a textured base.
2. IKEA Patrull Bathtub Mat
This bath mat from IKEA has a utilitarian design that is appealing even to children.
- The mat is shaped like a crocodile. Small textures on the mat represent the crocodile’s scales but also work as a grip for the baby.
- Multiple suction cups at the base of the mat prevent it from shifting under the baby’s feet.
- The mat is made entirely of rubber and is easy to clean.
- Some buyers noted that mold and mildew tend to grow around the suction cups and the rubber textures on the top. You will have to clean and dry the mat after every use to prevent that.
3. Hermosa Collection Square Shower Mats
It is a simple yet highly useful bath mat for babies and toddlers.
- The mat is square-shaped and occupies only that part of the tub where your baby sits in the bath.
- The baby mat rolls and folds for easy storage. The mat is also machine washable.
- It is free from BPA, latex, and phthalate. It also has an antibacterial coating.
- The manufacturer provides a limited 12-month warranty, which is adequate for a product like a bath mat.
- The mat may not fit edge to edge in a bathtub due to its unconventional square shape. You will have to turn and adjust the mat to find the ideal fit.
- Some buyers felt that the grip offered by the mat’s suction cups was not adequate.
4. Munchkin Quack Duck Bath Mat
The bath mat’s unconventional shape and bright color is probably its most unique selling point.
- The mat is shaped like a duck. The various parts of the bird – the eyes and the wings work as textures to provide grip to the child seated on the mat.
- Despite the shape, the mat can be rolled for easy storage when not in use.
- It has skid-resistant suction cups at the base to prevent it from sliding off its place.
- The mat is small and will not cover the entire floor of the bathtub.
- It has a chemical, plastic-like smell when you remove it from the packaging for the first time. You can soak it overnight in the bathtub to get rid of the smell.
5. Warrah Baby Bath Mat
This is a colorful bath mat with a lot of illustrations to excite a baby or a toddler.
- The surface of the bath mat is textured with ridges to provide maximum grip to a baby seated on it.
- There are several suction cups at the base of the mat to provide a solid grip even in a tub full of water.
- You can wash the mat in a washing machine for easy maintenance.
- The mat has passed the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission tests for bath mats. The flexible vinyl bath mat does not contain BPA, phthalate, lead, and latex.
- The suction cups will not work if the base of the bathtub is textured. The surface has to be smooth for the suction cups to stick.
6. Munchkin Dandy Dots Bath Mat
This adorable little bath mat has a colorful pattern that the baby may find appealing.
- The rubber bath mat for babies, which is decorated with several colorful dots, creates a non-slip surface.
- The dots are functional since they work as bumps, which provide friction to the baby and prevent sliding.
- There is an array of suction cups at the base of the mat for maximum grip.
- If your bathtub has a non-stick coating on its surface, then the suctions cups are unlikely to stick.
- Some parents noted that the dots tend to peel off over time.
7. Liuba Baby Bath Mat
You can make bath time fun for your baby with this bath mat from Liuba.
- It is made entirely out of PVC, which is flexible and durable.
- Parents reported that the colorful illustrations of fish on the mat keep their little one engrossed during a bath.
- Many users liked that the mat fits quite perfectly in most bathtubs.
- The suction cups at the base of the mat will not stick on textured surfaces.
- The mat may have some chemical odor when you remove it from the packaging for the first time. You can soak it in water within a bathtub overnight before the first use.
8. Kikkerland Bath Mat
It has an attractive design and is made from high-quality materials.
- The bath mat is made from natural rubber and is entirely non-slip, which helps keep the baby firmly seated in a bathtub.
- There are suction cups at the base of the bath mat, which prevents sliding.
- No latex used in the making of the bathmat.
- Parents reported that the mat tends to get discolored and moldy after a few months of use. You must wash the mat thoroughly after every use to prevent this.
9. Infantino 2-in-1 Bath Mat & Storage Basket
This turtle-shaped bath mat from Infantino serves more than one purpose, which makes it a highly functional product.
- Infantino’s mat works as a conventional bath mat. Once done using it, you can fold it to form a basket. You can store small bath toys and other items in it. Many parents were impressed by the mat’s multi-functionality.
- The bath mat comes with a suction cup hook. You can stick the hook to the wall and suspend the mat for drying.
- The multiple suction cups at the base of the mat prevent it from shifting in a bathtub.
- Some parents did not find the wall suction hook very strong.
10. Salinka Ocean Anti Slip Baby Bath Mat
This bath mat for babies can be a source of entertainment for the little one during bath time.
- The mat is made from PVC material and has no toxic materials such as phthalates and lead.
- The surface of the bath mat is textured with bumps that prevent the infant from slipping while seated in the tub.
- Suction cups at the base keep the mat in its place and prevent skidding.
- Children will love the colorful illustrations of animals on the mat’s top surface.
- The mat emanates a chemical smell when you first remove it from the package. However, the smell goes away after a few days of use.
- The design of the mat may result in water accumulation around the suction cups. You will have to thoroughly clean the mat and leave it to dry after each use.
11. Boon Bathtub Mat
The Boon mat is a simple, easy-to-use mat with some thoughtful design and features.
- The ridges on the surface of the mat provide grip to the bathing baby.
- There are tiny drain holes punched into these ridges, to allow the water to flow out and let the mat dry faster.
- A built-in hook lets you hang the mat from the shower for drying.
- There is an array of suction cups at the base of the mat for improved grip.
- The mat is made entirely out of rubber and does not contain latex.
- Some buyers noted that mold tends to form in the ridges and around the suction cups if the mat is not cleaned and dried properly.
Baby bath mats make the bath time fun and also safe for a little one. Remember to wash and rinse the mats after every bath with a baby-safe disinfectant. Leave the mat to dry before the next use to prevent the onset of mold and mildew formation. Care and maintenance can make the bath mat last through infancy and toddlerhood of a child.
Do you use a baby bath mat? Tell us about it in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.